The recently launched Motorola Razr has quickly become a sought-after smartphone for its iconic clamshell design which takes us back having nostalgic feels. As sleek as the OLED foldable form factor is, it is the device’s eSIM-only functionality that has us on the edge of our seats.
WHAT IS AN ESIM SMARTPHONE?
eSIM refers to embedded SIM within a smartphone, this means no physical SIM card like what most are used to. It reads information from the respective carrier and phone number you wish to use. In other words, two numbers in a single device. It is rewritable thus changing data plans is not a problem. The issue is that not that many phones and carriers are eSIM-capable just yet.
It is especially handy if you travel frequently, it eliminates buying new SIM cards when you reach your destination. Not to mention you’ll be data ready right when you land, check out our eSIM options and the carriers that support it.
MOTOROLA RAZR SPECS
This foldable device has a main internal folding screen with a 21:9 aspect ratio, 2142 x 876 pixels and 6.2-inch POLED (plastic OLED). Its front screen features a 4:3 aspect ratio, 800 x 600 pixels, 2.7-inch GOLED (glass OLED). Other features include:
- 16MP main camera, f/1.7 aperture (no ultra-wide lens or zoom lens)
- 5MP front-facing camera
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 710 processor
- 6GB RAM
- 128GB storage
- 2510mAh battery capacity
- Android 9
- 15W TurboPower fast-charge
- The fingerprint scanner on the front in the bottom ‘chin’
- Speakers also mounted in the front chin
- One USB-C slot on the bottom of the phone
- No expandable storage slot
- No SIM slot (the phone uses eSIM)
- No headphone jack
- No wireless charging
MOTOROLA RAZR MUST-KNOWS
The image above displays the insides of the Motorola Razr from the Federal Communications Commission (FCC). According to sources, the Razr does not have AT&T/T-Mobile USA-centric radio bands 12 and 14 meaning that the full mobile coverage experience would not be applicable to both major carriers.
It’s most compatible with Verizon, but if you use a different carrier, you could still make it work but functionality may not be a smooth process. Whilst the early RAZR was innovative and had an impressive look, the RAZR V3 and so on did not perform as good as they looked.
MOTOROLA RAZR PRICE POINT
The Wall Street Journal estimated that the revived Razr would cost about $1500 (£1,170) which was accurate. It is available exclusively through Verizon for $1,499.99, or $62.49/month on a 24-month payment plan. Pre-orders open on December 26, 2019, and then the phone will get a release date during January 2020.
In the UK, the Razr will be exclusively on EE with pre-orders also opening in December. Following which, the EU, Latin America, Asia and Australia. We aren’t sure of the contract price in the UK, but Motorola confirmed that the European price will be at €1,599 (about £1,360).
THE FINAL VERDICT
Whether you choose to give the Motorola Razr a shot or not, we do feel that there are areas of improvement such as camera, processor speed and battery capacity, you may want to think again. However, if aesthetics come first, it may just be a good selection to consider amongst other smartphones.
Follow us on:
- 57Businesses are using eSIM in their enterprise devices. With that, it is sure to provide a host of advantages from simpler technical management to stepped-up security, not to mention cost optimization as well. Mobile operators and device manufacturers to have a lot to gain as well. Here's how: SOLID STUFF…
- 53Many are calling the Samsung Galaxy Fold “the most forward-thinking phone of 2019” delivering a foldable device with Active-Matrix Organic Light-Emitting Diode (AMOLED) display that folds into a 7.3-inch tablet. Yup, quite the head-turner. SAMSUNG GALAXY FOLD SCREEN This is the main attraction of the phone. Although some foldable phones…